Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The New

David and I are nicely settled in Spartanburg.  We both keep saying how we've felt like we're on vacation, but since he has starting working the real world has set in.  It's funny how after five months of marraige the arrangement changes.  I've was so spoiled getting to be married while David was in school...meet during my lunch hour-no problem...don't feel like going to class-no problem (for David, lol).  Now it's real life and sometimes it's just hard.  It inspires me more than ever to ride and to ride well.  Gabe has been doing well.  I had to switch his feeds as the only two stores to carry his current feed are in Clemson and Charlotte.  That was an unfortunate realization.  I've also started lessons with Annie Maunder.  I remembered her from when the Eventing Team Schooled with her.  She was so honest and straight-forward, yet positive.  I will forever remember her for saying "Get your hands outa your nickers!" when my reins were too long! Gabe likes her.  Though when she tried to get on he would take just a little bit of a step to the side so she couldn't reach and then he almost pushed her off the mounting block with his head.  I was so mortified! But she laughed and just moved the mounting block.  Annie gave us some great material to work on.  She also confirmed a lot of my training decisions which was a relief.  Our next lesson is this Friday. I've also been enjoying my birthday gifts from David-a  saddle that fits and an ipod shuffle:)  It's amazing the difference a properly fitting saddle makes.  I feel like I've been walking around with the wrong size shoes on.  And the music just helps to relax me...thought it's mostly rap.  It amazing the problems that I try to solve while riding...and then I forget to breathe because I'm thinking so hard.  Who forgets to breathe???  But Gabe reminds me.  I love that Annie said, "This horse might make a decent rider out of you" and it's so true.  Gabe is a teacher and he's stubborn.  He won't do what I want unless I ask him the right way.

I was able to have Gabe volunteered for a massage certification clinic.  I relaxed just watching him get a massage! It was an interesting mix of massage and chiropractic practices.  The masues would move the horse into a stretch and then the horse would have to release.  To do the "release" Gabe would walk behind me and pop his jaw or hip or whatever it was.  The masueses said that it was a trust thing.  That most horses, because they are a prey animal don't want to seem weak, but that Gabe felt safe behind me.  Which made me smile of course:)

One of my favorite people that I've met is the barn manager where I keep Gabe.  With his crazy stories any country musician could have some very creative lyrics..."I made so many daquiries that I broke my blender" or "I came home and she took everything but a beer".

So, a new home, a new barn, a new saddle, new music, a new instructor, a new year...I'll be 24 Saturday, new friends and new lessons to be learned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment